The new Moor Mother album Jazz Codes will release on July 1
Featuring 18 tracks from Philly-native Camae Ayewa, the new Moor Mother album Jazz Codes is a follow up to 2021’s Black Encyclopedia of the Air via Anti- Records. The American musician, poet, and activist calls her new album a companion to last year’s LP.
Ayewa worked with producer Olof Melander and with Mary Lattimore, Akai Solo, Fatboi Sharif, Irreversible Entanglements, and Yungmorpheus as contributors on the new Moor Mother album Jazz Codes. Ayewa is also the executive producer of her work.
“It’s poetry that drives this album,” said Ayewa in a statement. “The stories of these artists and countless others not named but felt—is the leading motivation. I wanted to honor & give offerings, hold them in my body, dream with them, send sweetness.”
The first single “Woody Shaw” is a two-minute piece of minimal R&B and soul, featuring Melanie Charles. There’s also an extended video directed by Cyrus Moussav that shows the Moor Mother live band playing free jazz/spoken word.
Jazz Codes also features lojii, Moor Mother’s jazz ensemble Irreversible Entanglements, and more. Complete tracklist and album artwork provided below.
Moor Mother album Jazz Codes tracklist:
1. Umzansi (ft. Black Quantum Futurism and Mary Lattimore)
2. April 7th (ft. Keir Neuringer)
3. Golden Lady (ft. Melanie Charles)
4. Joe McPhee Nation Time Intro (ft. Keir Neuringer)
5. Ode to Mary (ft. Orion Sun and Jason Moran)
6. Woody Shaw (ft. Melanie Charles)
7. Meditation Rag (ft. Aquiles Navarro and Alya Al Sultani)
8. So Sweet Amina (ft. Justmadnice and Keir Neuringer)
9. Dust Together (ft. Wolf Weston and Aquiles Navarro)
10. Rap Jasm (ft. Akai Solo and Justmadnice)
11. Blues Away (ft. Fatboi Sharif)
12. Blame (ft. Justmadnice)
13. Arms Save (ft. Nicole Mitchell)
14. Real Trill Hours (ft. Yung Morpheus)
15. Evening (ft. Wolf Weston)
16. Barely Woke (ft. Wolf Weston)
17. Noise Jism
18. Thomas Stanley Jazzcodes Outro (ft. Irreversible Entanglements and Thomas Stanley)